The African Network for Agriculture, Agroforestry and Natural Resources Education (ANAFE) is a network of 143 educational institutions in 35 African countries whose objective is to strengthen the teaching of multi-disciplinary approaches to land management. The ANAFE Secretariat is hosted at the International Centre for Research in Agroforestry (ICRAF) headquarters in Nairobi. This provides a vantage for network management, linkages with the research and development activities of ICRAF and its partners, and convenient communication facilities.
Administratively, the network is attached to the World Agroforestry Centre (ICRAF). Day-to-day activities are supervised by an Executive Secretary. The Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (SIDA) has provided financial support to ANAFE since July 1991. Members contribute to the cost of managing specific activities. ANAFE works closely with Agriculture, Agroforestry and Natural Resource Management initiatives in Africa.
Mainstreaming integrated education and training programmes in Agriculture, Agroforestry, Forestry and Natural Resources within African colleges and universities.
Quality Tertiary Education, Research and Extension in Agriculture, Forestry, Agroforestry and other Natural Resources for Sustainable Socio-economic Transformation in Africa
To build capacity in tertiary institutions in Africa for quality education, training, research and extension in Agriculture, Forestry, Agroforestry and other Natural Resources for improved livelihoods.
ANAFE’score values are encapsulated in the acronym ‘NETGIF’ as summarized below:
- Networking and Partnerships: ANAFE will play a crucial role in Africa’s transformation by stimulating, developing, nurturing and sustaining networks and partnerships.
- Environmental consciousness: ANAFE will deliberately mainstream climate change into education and training programmes. ANAFE is committed to helping Africa gradually transition to “green growth” that will protect livelihoods, improve water, energy and food security, promote the sustainable use of natural resources and spur innovation, job creation and economic development.
- Transparency and accountability: ANAFE will ensure that the values of accountability and transparency are infused and practiced by network members and management structures.
- Gender equity and empowerment of youth and women: ANAFE willprovide equal opportunities and working with member institutions to significantly increase the participation of women and youth in agricultural education, training and research as students, lecturers, researchers, managers, entrepreneurs and leaders. ANAFE will ensure that training and education opportunities in agriculture, agroforestry and natural resource management are available to equip young people with the skills, knowledge, experience and mindset that they need to secure jobs and create businesses.
- Inclusivity: ANAFE believes in promoting growth that is more inclusive leading to equality of treatment and opportunities.
- Fairness and Integrity: ANAFE is open to all qualified candidates, whilst aiming to ensure broad participation and representation from the different regions and upholds high degree of integrity.
For 2016 – 2020, ANAFE will focus on four strategic objectives:
- Strengthening ANAFE’s institutional capacity;
- Enabling policy and institutional environment for quality Tertiary Agriculture, agroforestry, forestry and other natural resources education and research;
- Enhancing business components in agriculture forestry, agroforestry and other related natural resources;
- Positioning ANAFE to become a Centre of Excellence for training and research in Forestry, Agroforestry and other Natural Resources.