ANAFE’s strategy recognizes the important role played by the youth in promoting knowledge and utilization of agriculture, agroforestry and natural resources in Africa. For this reason, ANAFE join hands with CCARDESA in making the Youth in Agriculture Summit a success. The summit is held on 3-6 August 2015 in Durban, South Africa. The overall goal of the summit is to create a platform where the youth will be challenged to be more actively involved in the agricultural value chain. The specific objectives of the summit are to:
• Provide a networking platform to share experiences on youth involvement in agriculture in the region and beyond;
• Challenge the SADC youth to explore opportunities to engage in agribusinesses interventions along the various commodity value chains;
• Develop a strategy to address challenges which hinder the participation of the youth in agriculture in various countries in SADC region;
• Identify niche areas for youth involvement in agriculture;
• Facilitate establishment of innovative partnerships between youths and private sector organizations to enable development of viable business ventures;
• Challenge agricultural training institutions in the region to review training models and develop innovative skills training programmes and provisions that meet the needs of the youths in modern economies of the region;
• Explore opportunities offered by ICTs to address agricultural challenges and improve youth participating in agriculture. The summit is being organized by the Centre for Coordination of Agricultural Research and Development for Southern Africa (CCARDESA).